OpenSSH 4.7/4.7p1 released
OpenSSH 4.7/4.7p1 released Sep 4, 2007
OpenSSH 4.7 has just been released. It will be available from the
mirrors listed at http://www.openssh.com/ shortly.
OpenSSH is a 100% complete SSH protocol version 1.3, 1.5 and 2.0
implementation and includes sftp client and server support.
Changes since OpenSSH 4.6:
Security bugs resolved in this release:
* Prevent ssh(1) from using a trusted X11 cookie if creation of an
untrusted cookie fails; found and fixed by Jan Pechanec.
Other changes, new functionality and fixes in this release:
* sshd(8) in new installations defaults to SSH Protocol 2 only.
Existing installations are unchanged.
* The SSH channel window size has been increased, and both ssh(1)
sshd(8) now send window updates more aggressively. These improves
performance on high-BDP (Bandwidth Delay Product) networks.
* ssh(1) and sshd(8) now preserve MAC contexts between packets, which
saves 2 hash calls per packet and results in 12-16% speedup for
* A new MAC algorithm has been added, UMAC-64 (RFC4418) as
"email@example.com". UMAC-64 has been measured to be
approximately 20% faster than HMAC-MD5.
* A -K flag was added to ssh(1) to set GSSAPIAuthentication=Yes
* Failure to establish a ssh(1) TunnelForward is now treated as a
fatal error when the ExitOnForwardFailure option is set.
* ssh(1) returns a sensible exit status if the control master goes
away without passing the full exit status. (bz #1261)
* The following bugs have been fixed in this release:
- When using a ProxyCommand in ssh(1), set the outgoing hostname with
gethostname(2), allowing hostbased authentication to work (bz #616)
- Make scp(1) skip FIFOs rather than hanging (bz #856)
- Encode non-printing characters in scp(1) filenames.
these could cause copies to be aborted with a "protocol error"
- Handle SIGINT in sshd(8) privilege separation child process to
ensure that wtmp and lastlog records are correctly updated
- Report GSSAPI mechanism in errors, for libraries that support
multiple mechanisms (bz #1220)
- Improve documentation for ssh-add(1)'s -d option (bz #1224)
- Rearrange and tidy GSSAPI code, removing server-only code being
linked into the client. (bz #1225)
- Delay execution of ssh(1)'s LocalCommand until after all forwadings
have been established. (bz #1232)
- In scp(1), do not truncate non-regular files (bz #1236)
- Improve exit message from ControlMaster clients. (bz #1262)
- Prevent sftp-server(8) from reading until it runs out of buffer
space, whereupon it would exit with a fatal error. (bz #1286)
* Portable OpenSSH bugs fixed:
- Fix multiple inclusion of paths.h on AIX 5.1 systems. (bz #1243)
- Implement getpeereid for Solaris using getpeerucred. Solaris
systems will now refuse ssh-agent(1) and ssh(1) ControlMaster
clients from different, non-root users (bz #1287)
- Fix compilation warnings by including string.h if found. (bz #1294)
- Remove redefinition of _res in getrrsetbyname.c for platforms that
already define it. (bz #1299)
- Fix spurious "chan_read_failed for istate 3" errors from sshd(8),
a side-effect of the "hang on exit" fix introduced in 4.6p1.
- pam_end() was not being called if authentication failed (bz #1322)
- Fix SELinux support when SELinux is in permissive mode. Previously
sshd(8) was treating SELinux errors as always fatal. (bz #1325)
- Ensure that pam_setcred(..., PAM_ESTABLISH_CRED) is called before
pam_setcred(..., PAM_REINITIALIZE_CRED), fixing pam_dhkeys.
- Fix privilege separation on QNX - pre-auth only, this platform does
not support file descriptior passing needed for post-auth privilege
separation. (bz #1343)
Thanks to everyone who has contributed patches, reported bugs and
- SHA1 (openssh-4.7.tar.gz) = 9ebaab9b31e01bd0d04425dc23536bcc78f8d990
- SHA1 (openssh-4.7p1.tar.gz) = 58357db9e64ba6382bef3d73d1d386fcdc0508f4
OpenSSH is brought to you by Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt,
Kevin Steves, Damien Miller, Darren Tucker, Jason McIntyre, Tim Rice and